Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Hampshire March 2008

Long story short, I finally got to go ice climbing.

The pre-climbing epic involved having to go to court & driving though the hell known as I-95 (hell because & partner bailage due to sudden & unrelenting flu). I had fantasies of telling the judge: "I'll take my touron money to the great state of Vermont you legalistic puritan! Who do yo think you are? the Quaker oatmeal dude? Live Free or Die, my ass!" Fortunately this remained only a fantasy, as I am able to write this blog unincarcerated.

Anyhoo... The actual climbing days involved perfect conditions, a cozy B&B, & good company. No incriminating pictures, however.
OK, maybe one.

In North Conway, I stayed at the Nereledge Inn. I would highly recommend this place over any of the chain motels or that cheesy timeshare place hear the gear shops. It's really homey yet w/in walking distance to "downtown". The litmus test for B&B's is the tastiness of the muffins. This one definitely passed.

I was tentatively going to climb ice for the first time with a Kevin Mahoney, a guide that came with really good recommendations from reliable sources. However he had to go out of town on short notice & gave the job to Freddie Wilkinson.

I don't have any other pictures, so the following ones are "borrowed".

Photo: http://chauvinguides.com/stdicelines.htm

The first real ice climb I got to do in my whole entire life was Standard Route.






http://www.neclimbs.com/image_popup.php?ImagePath=currentContent/iceReport/ice_images/dracula.jpg&Title=dracula

The next day was Dracula,

























followed by a mixed route called the Penguin.





http://www.neclimbs.com/image_popup.php?ImagePath=currentContent/iceReport/ice_images/penguin.jpg&Title=penguin

No comments: