Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tetons part 6 of 6: Down from the Mountain

Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4 Part5 Part6

Morning at Moraine Camp



photo by Wayne Busch http://www.southeastclimbing.com/images/l_8499c.jpg

I continued toward Lower Saddle, as I had one night left on my permit.
I can't remember all the excuses I came up with, but halfway there, with a ridiculously huge pack on, I decided to turn around. I didn't think I'd be able to summit and make it back down to the Climbers' Ranch in the one day I had left. Looking back, I don't think this was the wrong decision, but I still kinda regret not summiting.

Then again, the Grand and all it's neighbors will be there for me in 2008.



it started raining just as I was getting to the Caves


http://www.youtube.com/v/zpgE-wQCcvw



As started putting my pack back on after my nap in the Caves,
I heard someone call out my name.
It turned out to be Charlotte & John from Washington DC!
They were doing the
annual International Campaign for Tibet's Teton Climb.
What a coincidence!
Perhaps I should have stashed my gear and go back up with them,
but I guess I was still reeling from my baby epic.


Spalding Falls


By the time I got to the Meadows, it started raining. Again.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QSkSJ5p92Q



My last morning of waking up in the Tetons



The boulder fields are only slightly easier to navigate in the daylight,
only somewhat easier the second time around.

The Platforms area is in the pines on the left, the Forest Service gear stash is the blue pile in the middle, and some hikers on their way up are immediately to the right. (click to enlarge)


On the way down there were mule deer in search of food.
It was a tough summer for all Tetons' critters due to the lack of rain.


After I getting back to the Climbers' Ranch, I announced that I'd be taking the world's longest shower. Magically, the hot water didn't run out!

Then I spent hilarious evening hanging out with people in the pavilion at the Climbers' Ranch, mooching their ibuprofen, narcotics and booze for my aching back (to no avail). Some of the folks included Jack Gregory & Tom, both from Massachusetts, Father Steve Boes (who was extraordinarily hilarious), and Climber's Ranch Veteran and DC Native Rob "Busta" Hymen.



As the gathering started dwindling in the wee hours of the night, there were people waking up to sort gear for alpine starts up the mountain. I proceed to crash on the couch in the library. The couch was warm and cozy, especially after 6 nights sans thermarest.

The next morning Tom and I head up to Wilson for a big breakfast at Nora's.



The next evening, I had (a real, non freeze-dried) dinner (that was not in the form of a bar) with John, Charlotte and the ICT team at Nani's Genuine Pasta House. It was great to be with familiar faces as well as meet new folks like Conrad Anker (who reappears later on my road trip), Jimmy Chin, Guides from JHMG,


as well as David Breshears and an ICT staffer whose name I've forgotten.

David snuck in a bottle of wine from outside the restaurant. To further this covert operation (thus dodging the silly corking fee) Charlotte and I order many bottles of red wine in an attempt to keep the waiter from figuring things out. Meanwhile David struggled for a long time with the contraband wine & bottle opener under the table.

The forth person at our table was a seventy year old woman
who, like Charlotte, had also just summited the Grand!


After a wonderful dinner I continue to crash the party and stayed at
a cozy, luxurious eco-friendly, climber owned B&B that I
definitely plan on staying at again on future trips




Charlotte, David and I stayed under the stars and in the hot tub 'til 3am...
talking about nothing & everything.

I really look forward to getting back to the Tetons in 2008!!

No comments: